Here I’ve compiled a list of local adventures, which I plan to attempt over the next few years. Some notes:
- All these adventures start and/or finish from home. My preference is for adventures that both start and finish from home, so the entire expedition is self-powered.
- Running is not included since my knees don’t appear to be strong enough these days. Hence the ultra-distance events are now multi-day adventures, which just means I get to enjoy the adventure for longer 😉
- All these adventures can be enjoyed in summer or winter conditions, and I hope to complete them all under both types of conditions.
- There are a multitude of shorter trails in and around Harpers Ferry that I’ve not included in this list.
- ✅ indicates that this adventure has been done in summer conditions. ❄️ means done under winter conditions.
- Links to trip reports added where complete.
- This list is a work-in-progress that I’ll likely add to as I discover more adventures in the area! Some are also aspirational and will probably change when I research the routes in more detail! 🙂
Single-day hiking adventures
- Loudon Heights (7 miles) ✅ ❄️ [LINK 1, LINK 2]
- Stone Fort Loop (8 miles) ✅ ❄️ [LINK]
- Weverton Cliffs (12 miles) ✅ [LINK]
- 2 peak: Loudon + Stone Fort loop (15 miles) ✅ [LINK]
- 2 peak: Stone Fort loop + Weverton Cliffs (18 miles)
- 3 peak: Loudon + Stone Fort + Weverton Cliffs (25 miles) ✅ [SOLO, WITH PETE]
- 4 peak (include Bolivar Heights)
- 5 peak (include Bolivar Heights and Fort Duncan)
- To Keys Gap return (12 miles) ✅ [LINK 1, LINK 2]
- To David Lesser shelter return (19 miles) ✅ ❄️ [LINK]
- To Raven Rocks trailhead one-way (21 miles) ✅ [SOLO]
- To Edward B. Garvey Memorial Shelter return (17 miles) ✅ [LINK]
- To Gathland State Park return (~24 miles) ✅ [LINK]
- To White Rocks Trail Overlook return (~31 miles)
- To Rocky Run Shelter return (~33 miles)
- To Raven Rocks return (~34 miles)
- To Major General Jesse Reno Monument return (~36 miles)
- Every street in Harpers Ferry walk
Single-day bike adventures
- Return trip to Shepherdstown (30 miles) ✅ [LINK]
- Sugarloaf mountain from home and return (50+ miles, 5 miles hiking)
- Return trip to DC (120 miles)
Single-day SUP adventures
There are lots of accessible rivers here, both flat and whitewater, that naturally link features. My preferred water craft is a SUP.
- SUP tours on the Potomac river ✅ [link]
- SUP tours on the Shenandoah river
Single-day multi-sport adventures
The goal in 2023 is to combine disciplines into multi-sport adventures. Mostly these will be multi-day adventures, but there are a few that work as long day outings:
- Bike to Shepherdstown, SUP return to home (20 miles bike + 20 miles river?) ✅ [LINK]
- Three Peaks using rivers instead of bridges for the crossings
Style: Go as light as possible and be as self-sufficient as possible. Take either a lightweight tent or hammock.
- Multi-day river tours on the SUP (2 – 7 days)
- Bike & SUP: bike upstream on C&O and SUP back downstream on Potomac river (2 – 7 days)
- Hike & SUP: hike south on A.T., SUP home on Shenandoah (2+ days)
- Hike home to Front Royal (60 miles, 4 days)
- Hike home to S end of Shenandoah (150 miles, 10 days)
- Bike & SUP the C&O and GAP trails (~330 miles, yo-yo 700 miles)
Truly, there’s enough adventure in my local area to occupy a lifetime!