Here I’ve compiled a list of local adventures, which I plan to attempt over the next few years. Some notes:
- All these adventures start and/or finish from home. My preference is for adventures that both start and finish from home, so the entire expedition is self-powered.
- Running is not included since my knees don’t appear to be strong enough these days. Hence the ultra-distance events are now multi-day adventures, which just means I get to enjoy the adventure for longer 😉
- All these adventures can be enjoyed in summer or winter conditions, and I hope to complete them all under both types of conditions.
- There are a multitude of shorter trails in and around Harpers Ferry that I’ve not included in this list.
- ✅ indicates that this adventure has been done in summer conditions. ❄️ means done under winter conditions.
- Links to trip reports added where complete.
- This list is a work-in-progress that I’ll likely add to as I discover more adventures in the area! Some are also aspirational and will probably change when I research the routes in more detail! 🙂
Single-push / Single-day hiking adventures
- Loudon Heights (7 miles) ✅ ❄️ [LINK 1, LINK 2]
- Stone Fort Loop (8 miles) ✅ ❄️ [LINK]
- Weverton Cliffs (12 miles) ✅. [LINK]
- 2 peak: Loudon + Stone Fort loop (15 miles) ✅ [LINK]
- 2 peak: Stone Fort loop + Weverton Cliffs (18 miles)
- 3 peak: Loudon + Stone Fort + Weverton Cliffs (25 miles)
- Home to Keys Gap return (12 miles) ✅ [LINK 1, LINK 2]
- Home to David Lesser shelter return (19 miles) ✅ ❄️ [LINK]
- Home to Raven Rocks return (34 miles)
- Home to Raven Rocks trailhead one-way (21 miles) ✅ [LINK]
- Home to Edward B. Garvey Memorial Shelter return (17 miles)
- Home to Gathland State Park return (~20 miles)
- Home to White Rocks Trail Overlook return (~27 miles)
Single-push / Single-day bike adventures
- Return trip to Shepherdstown (40 miles)
- Sugarloaf mountain from home and return (50+ miles)
- Return trip to DC (120 miles)
Single-push / Single-day multi-sport adventures
The plan is to get into packrafting in 2022 and add that into the adventure mix. There are several accessible rivers that naturally link features here, so a packraft would add new options to existing routes.
- Packraft to Weverton Cliffs, climb it, hike home (6 miles raft, 7 miles walk?)
- Bike to Shepherdstown, packraft return to home (20 miles bike + 20 miles river?)
- Hike to Raven Rocks trailhead, packraft home (24 miles hike + 25 miles river?)
- Packraft Antietam Creek to Harpers Ferry
Style: Go as light as possible and be as self-sufficient as possible. Take either a lightweight tent or hammock.
- Hike home to Front Royal (60 miles, 3 or 4 days?)
- Hike home to S end of Shenandoah (150 miles, 6 – 10 days?)
- Packraft exped: raft to Weverton Cliffs, climb it, hike to Stone Fort, climb it, hike to Loudon Heights, climb it, continue hike to Front Royal, raft back to home (10 days?)
- Hike C&O and GAP trails (~330 miles, 15 – 20 days)
- Hike C&O and GAP trails yo-yo (~700 miles, 30 – 40 days)
Truly, there’s enough adventure in my local area to occupy a lifetime!